Monday, August 8, 2011

Wrapped Glass

I've always had this love affair with the ocean. Probably because, for most of my life, I've been within a few miles of the Pacific. I had the fortune of living by rather pristine beaches. The sand was littered with footprints and driftwood more than anything else. Finding "beach glass" was a rarity in my area, especially considering how diligent the locals are about cleaning up the stray litter. So I've had this strange curiosity with the idea-I mean, it's a lovely thing, this tumbled, frosted bit of glass. Smoothed out by waves and sand.

But, it's also pollution. I've heard stories of folks who break bottles on the shore, so they can come back later for the shards once the waves have shaped it out to be this work of art we call sea glass. And that's always seemed...wrong. I've actually met one of these types, once, who gladly admitted to smashing bottles on rocks to later collect the remains, and sell it off. Profiting off of pollution. Just doesn't sit well with me.

Which is why I was THRILLED to find a stash of "beach glass" looking goodies, that were made fairly local. Bottles and broken glass that wouldn't normally be recycled were broken up and tossed into a large tumbler with sand and water, then tossed about inside the tumbler for a few days, to a few weeks, to create the exact same look as beach glass! In the middle of Texas! So exciting! I couldn't help myself, I bought a few different colors (mostly, with the intention of hording it) and brought it home. Finally got around to doing something with the lovelies, other than stare at it....check it out!






Gaw-geous, no? I'm having so much fun wrapping these babies up! The above pendants & necklaces are for sale on my etsy shop! I can't decide which color I love most, the royal blue or emeral green. Le sigh...
More lovely hand-wrapped glass added weekly, so check by the shop often to see what's new : )

2 comments:

  1. Awesome story, can't wait to read more, you have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased to have you! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete